Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Gift

When I was thirteen, and during the final week of the summer holidays, my Mum and Dad bought me a blue, secondhand ten-speed bike. I loved it. I even remember the day when I first learned that it would be mine.
I had spent the afternoon with some neighbours, who had taken a group of us for a swim in the Murray River. I injured myself.
While walking in the murky shallows, I was stabbed in the foot by a sharp stick protruding from the nauseatingly soft oozing mud - God only knows what else was lurking there...I always tried not to think too much about it!
Much blood spilled from my foot, which understandably gave the neighbours the heebie jeebies. Consequently, the swim was abandoned and our group were taken home - I hated the fact that I was the party pooper.
I was standing by when Mum informed Dad that she would be taking me to the clinic to get stitched up. He barely looked up....well, only long enough for me to note the disappointment and irritation in his abrupt reply, "well, I guess we won't be picking up that bike now, will we". Despite that comment, the bike was still up for grabs the following day, we hadn't missed out after all.
I did already have a bike - a purple dragster, but I really wanted a ten-speed, not that I voiced this desire. Ten-speeds were the kind of bike the big kids had; it was a serious bike...dragsters were for kids!
I don't really know what it was about that bike, as opposed to the purple dragster, but it was more than a bike to me. I rode it everywhere and at every opportunity. It was my escape vehicle. If I wanted to leave, or was bored, I took my bike and rode for miles, thinking and checking out the town. If I was frustrated or angry, I rode hard and fast until my pounding legs screamed with agony, when my throat would not, or could not. It was my release.
This was also at a time before Australia introduced mandatory bike helmet laws. I enjoyed feeling the wind tussling my hair; the cold breeze slapping my face; my fingers numb, red and stingy after a frosty winter ride to school.
I usually rode to school as fast as I could, which is surprising, because I DETESTED school with every morsel of myself, but then again, I barely ever said a word there, so I guess I was experiencing my own brand of the rant and rave as I raced...anger and frustration released before stepping into the dreaded classroom...that's healthy isn't it?
I would even time the journey; 6 minutes was the time to beat, if I remember correctly. I couldn't tell you exactly how far away I lived from the school...3kms maybe?
I usually walked my bike slowly home after school, giving myself ample time to reflect, digest and ponder the days events, and also the bigger, mostly morbid questions. I would also make up poems in my head, and promptly forget them once I arrived home. It only occurred to me much later, that I should write them down. Oh well. No great loss, you can be assured of that.
Anyway that bike served me well - it represented freedom. It also meant an awful lot to me, that my parents entrusted me, not only with a new bike, but allowing let me take my bike anytime.... no questions asked, and simply disappear.
Ashley fixed my bike today. It had been standing idle since the move to Canada, tyre tubes deflated and lifeless - not the blue ten-speed. Unfortunately that bike was stolen from me when I moved out of home sixteen years ago.
I rode my current bike today without a helmet -I know...I know- but to feel the breeze whipping through my hair; and the brisk autumn chill stinging my face and my legs screaming as I tore down the streets - hard and fast.....well, it made me smile.

3 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Thanks for a great story that invoked wonderful memories for me, as well. You are a most talented writer.

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you better learn how to ride! :)

Yes, when you are younger and without the ability to drive anywhere, a bike is the best way to acquire freedom! Of course freedom doesn't come without a price. I swear that by todays laws with helmets and such that keep kids safe, I should be dead by now. Of course nobody wore a helmet back then. We made jumps, raced down hills REALLY fast, and did all sorts of crazy stuff. I was hit by a car, I had my fron wheel lock up another time and crashed over the handlebars onto the pavement and landed on my face, I mangeled my fingers once. Dead. I should be so dead. :)

But, no, I survived and now biking is about escape and feeling good, not just sitting back and thinking about doing it, but doing it. This morning I biked to work, and it was 30 degrees out, no coffee in hand as I went to work, but a sense of accomplishment once I got here. Sure, other drivers probably looked at me and thought, "what a crazy dude, biking in the cold", but they don't understand. What's crazy to one person, is complete sanity to another.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger strauss said...

Oh...you meant the COLD thirty degrees.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home