Monday, October 02, 2006

the unfamiliar concept of fun

I was recently reminded of "fun": Fun...fun...fun...FUN. To me, it is a puzzling word, whichever way I say it. In conversation, I generally don't use it, especially when describing something I was involved in.

Years ago, I was alerted to this word "fun". I don't know why, but the word stuck out whenever I remembered a particular convervation I had with a friend. My friend was describing having pizza and soft drinks with friends after uni. She concluded her story with the casual, fading remark "it was so much fun...". Strange that this, often throw away word, should resonate within the echoey halls of my mind. I have despised that word ever since, mainly because it bamboozled me. It was simply too ambiguous. I abandoned it for being empty, and gritted my teeth whenever someone used it. One of my Mum's favourite departing phrases is to say: "have fun...", to which I quip sarcastically "yeah, bound to!" I know, I should lighten up occassionally... well, I think I could just be an old grump really.

Anyway, not happy being an old grump, I decided to revisit this concept of FUN, as it had once again began to run around inside my head like a mouse on one of those wheels. I realised that I don't get what fun is, because I don't allow myself to play very often. In fact, I wasn't even sure I could remembered how to play anymore. I am lousy at playing with the kids. These days everything is work or done in an effort to remain productive, efficient.... useful - WHOAH!

I decided I needed to redefine what FUN means - to me. So I wrote a list of all the things I simply enjoy for enjoyments sake. Surprisingly, I found that most of what I enjoy, costs very little money. I thought I would share MY list of fun things, but be warned, for the most part, they are activities that calm and sooth my soul; nothing really exotic or different from what the majority of the population do, I suspect. My list appears in no particular order:

1. Walking - the "where to" is not really important. Walking gives my mind a chance to centre. It is like a meditation for me.

2. Numerology - I like to apply meaning to stuff, even if it is my own brand of "understanding".

3. Writing - Getting my thoughts out where I can see them is kind of akin to releasing the tigers.

4. Read a good book - fact or fiction doesn't matter, as long as I can "get into it" (I am fussy).

5. Good food in a place with atmosphere - the atmosphere heightens the experience significantly for me.

6. Visiting and playing in the snow - snow has the ability to recapture ones youth and draw out the inner child, even when no snow was ever present in our pasts. I find that quite an incredible phenomenon.

7. Going to the movies - there is something about the movies: the larger than life pictures on the screen, the surround sound, the enveloping darkness and illuminating light drawing us forward into the story...I don't know, but to watch a movie at home barely compares.

8. Listening to music while driving -Again, it is kind of meditative. Even with a pile of kids in the back, turn it up and sing. I am glad my kids are into it too. They love to bop along with the tunes, and don't seem to mind my singing. Ha!

9. Travelling - near or far. It is about seeing something different... some thing or some place new.

10. Chatting with friends - I love going to a coffee shop with a friend and just sitting down for a chat. I also love it when people come to visit for the same. I haven't had the pleasure ONCE since coming to Canada, although I have tried. The closest I have gotten is scrap booking, which was just as good really. I dearly miss my friends in Australia.

If I had the money these are some fun things I would like to do or experience:

1. Take my kids to the circus (when one is in town I will look into it - there are none at present - we just missed Cirque du Solei)

2. Snow shoing (hopefully this winter)

3. Attend the ballet, theatre and symphony (I will probably be going alone if at all)

4. Go canoeing on the Fraser River. (I am looking at doing this in May next year.)

5. Cruise through Alaska's Inside Passage

6. Take my kids to Disneyland (next year, fingers crossed)

7. Visit Venice

8. Tour France

9. Own a laptop (perhaps when the kids are in school. I want to write EVERYWHERE!)

10. Check out New England

Thanks for reading!

3 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blog and an interesting thought. I think I fall into the you have to be accomplishing something everyday and that fun is not a word I incorporate into my life. Lauraine

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Good for you! I, too, think "fun" should be defined as whatever gives us joy...however we find it. It's "fun" stacking wood with my husband, because we talk and have one-on-one time.....it's "fun" spending an afternoon working on a quilting project....or lost in a good book. It's not about giggles and laughs (tho that's great too!)...but what gives us happiness. I hope you find some everyday! (You too, Laurie!)

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger strauss said...

That experience was as riotous as it was weird, ha ha ha.
Yes, that whole trip was fantastic!
Hmmmm, didn't I dedicate a whole blog entry to that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home