Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Joy

Here in B.C Canada, we are not exactly blessed with the best zoo around. The enclosures are mostly archaic and insufficient, but this did not dampen the delight on the faces of children everywhere, who were just in awe of the aminals, many of which had only been seen in books, or better, animals neither they nor us- the adults- had even heard of. Take the Mara, for instance. An odd rattish looking creature, about the size of a wombat. Not an overly pretty sight mind you, but fascinating enough to glare in bewilderment for a few moments and shake the head while walking away. Who says the God's don't have a sense of humour?
Much excitement was had in the moose, with his enormous rack of antler, seeming to teeter on top of his head. I took a picture of him, but it was to look into his large, soft, dark brown eyes that melted my heart - such a beautiful animal, but strangley paired in the the same enclosure as the Emus - not a combination that would immediately appear logical to me. We also saw some wallabies - so we got a bit of an Australian fix really.
Alex and Olivia are sitting on top of a giant tortoise - not a real one. They were having a great time as you can see. When I saw them gleefully jump on the tortoise, it reminded me of my brother, who as a little boy "rode" on a real giant tortoise at the Adelaide zoo....not sure if it was really the done thing, but I remember him sitting on the huge creature as it struggled to move along. I think my Grandpa plucked him from its back quite smartly, come to think of it.
We had a good time at the zoo, but I do wish such places were able to provide better facilities. The animals are the meal tickets for all employees who work there. The animals are the main attraction, people will always want to see them. So the animals deserve it- they deserve the best. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home