Wednesday, September 13, 2006

sun worship


What is that pessemistic phrase?....All good things must come to an end. Why should they? Why, I ask you.
Well I am having an early panick attack about the weather. It is mid September and we are still enjoying this wonderful sunshine and warm weather, but I know the cold snap will be on our doorstep soon enough...there is no such thing as an endless summer, although it comes pretty darn close in Australia.
I know I said it somewhere; winter was my favourite season when I lived in Australia. There was a coziness attached to an Aussie winter. The landscape rejuvenated itself to a lovely lush looking green colour; misty mountains could be spied in teh distance and fog hovered in the nearby gullies. The rain was sparodic and accesssorize the spiders webs with a bling of rain drops. You really only needed a regular coat to walk outside, or perhaps just a warm jumper - seldom did we drag out the gloves or scarf. Gee, the kids didn't even own rain coats before we came here - we just waited until the rain stopped before we ventured outside for a stroll. Well, if you did that here, you wouldn't leave your place for a month! I do love the rain - I know I said that only the other day, and I am looking forward to more of it- things are starting to look a little dry around here. But my stomach does knot up a little when I think back to last winter - man it was hard. I didn't know a soul in this town; none of the neighbours came out of their houses for a chat; no one stuck around after pre-school to "get to know"; we had no money; I was unaware of many of the services that I am now clued up on and to top it all off; I had no car to go anywhere, because I was too stupid to pass the bloomin' driving test; so essentially I was stuck inside with two bored little kids. It sucked majorly and I became very, very depressed with the winter blues. I shouldn't really complain- we actually live in the province with the best weather, and in the warmest region of BC; we receive a third the rain of North Vancouer, and very little snow. It is still a complete shock compared to Australia, but I make a point of never criticising the weather to a Canadian, because living where we live - I know it could be a hell of a lot worse...so I am constantly told anyway.

1 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Kathleen said...

They make these wonderful lights that you're supposed to sit under for an hour or so every day? Gets rid of the winter doldrums. Lots of people in Alaska use them. If it gets really bad, you could try that! And yes, the weather could be much, much worse. You're a brave soul to take it on after what you're used to!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home