Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Gate keeper



Apparently I am saving the municipality $35,000. Gee, I'm good.

What a load of bollocks! Some big wig up in the local govt. chambers decided to keep the gates of the car park, which services the public park next door, open permanently - not that he told any residents, mind you.

The park next door is open from dawn till dusk and is very busy with tennis, soccer and baseball during the warmer months. In the cooler months the park is barely used at all, other than for drop off and pick up for the pre-school directly behind our house. We don't mind the positive noise of the park one bit, it makes the place feel alive and we have had no trouble whatsoever with those crowds, but lately things have changed.

In the past month or so, we have been getting groups of 17-23 year olds - just judging by their appearance, who have been congregating outside our kitchen window at 2 am, yelling screaming, fighting and generally causing a disturbance. Annoyed, I watched them through my kitchen blinds one night, and noticed that the park gates were open. There was a group of maybe 10-15 kids, who appeared to be off thier faces. One guy was on the phone and then hung up. Moments later a car pulled up, the guy on the phone made an exchange with the guy in the car, few words were spoken, and the group moved out of plain view, behind our house. This happened on three occassions. On the third attempt, and at 3am, I rang the police - I couldn't take it anymore.

I also rang the council the following day and asked them why the gate was left open. I was told it was a cost issue, and that [he] would prefer to use the $35,000 the non-closure would save the council, for services and projects that would benefit the entire community. Fair enough I said. I told him what had been going on since that decision had been made and asked if I could closed the damn gate myself...since I am right there anyway. "Are you sure?" I was asked "You have to do it every single day...." (patronising B******!)"Well!" I told him, "I do live right there, it is only next door. How hard is it?"

So I have the key and have been doing that job on an entirely voluntary basis for the past week. I don't mind. I do feel a little funny about it now that I have the "job". I probably should have asked the neighbours if they minded me doing that, I am the newcomer after all.

What has irked me somewhat, is that the council shows up at 7am, every morning, to open the washrooms for the park, and they work till 11:30pm, 24/7, and appear to close the washrooms at 9:30pm each night. So why can't THEY shut the gate? They are there anyway - Where is the savings coming from? It makes no sense to me - I feel a little bit used.

Anyway, I have decided to put that minor IRRITATING detail out of my mind and try to look at it positively. I have a purpose to get up early each morning and go outside, so I might as well take the opportunitity to go for a walk after opening the gate - and hey, I might even get a christmas card at the end of the year -YAY!

3 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Kathleen said...

MY first thought was, "Do you have to chase people out of the park before you lock the gate?" That could get ugly!

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you..........saw a problem and solved it. Now to find my gate that will get me up early and out for a walk. Lauraine

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger strauss said...

Thanks for your concern, but no. I can actually see the entire park from my kitchen window, so I make a mad dash for it when the place is empty. There is a sign up at the park entrance saying that the place is open from dawn to dusk. The otehr day some kids drove in just as I came out to close up. All I said is "closing up now guys". I had barely finished the sentence when they skidded on out of there. I guess I have that kind of effect on people! ha ha ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home