Tuesday, August 29, 2006

defending an icon



A little while ago a friend of mine placed on her blog, a competition of sorts. It was a "guess the object" kind of game, with the promise of a cache of Australian chocolates and sweets for the winning guess and most original guess. Well .... I took the full sweep, baby!!! And the promise of some favourite Aussie treats saw me blue faced with sparks flying off my palms, as I rubbed my hands together with baited breath, waiting for my choccie parcel to arrive. I was a little suspicious however that the parcel might never arrive, especailly after reading a comment left on my friends blog by her sister, someone who probably knows from experience. But last night while chatting to my friend, she decides to let me know that she chowing down on a packet of my prize winning JAFFAS - the cheek of it!
Jaffas, for the unaware, are red or orange candy covered orange-flavoured chocolate balls, about the size of your average marble ("they melt in your mouth not in your hand"). Lets just say that I was not overly impressed, but hey, I got over it. SEND THAT PARCEL ALREADY!!!!
Anyway, in sharing this silly story I tried to find a picture of the said Jaffas and came across this web-site www.bewarethecheese.com. The opening picture, presumably of the website operator, is a little scary, but if you're game, this bloke has a "candy critic" page. I looked up a number of the old favourites and found a review for the beloved Violet crumble by Nestles. The snippet below describes this treat, for any poor souls who are yet to sink their teeth into this Aussie delight. But I must say, I was baffled by the "average" review and apparent lack of appreciation for one of Australia's - dare I say - national icons- it was kind of like scorning the sacred really. The review follows...

Although this is a fine bar it really brings up many questions. The review itself is simple, this is a fine bit of chocolate-covered sponge toffee. The sponge toffee is actually kinda nice because it doesn't seem to be as sticky as a 'Crunchie' bar. So all around this bar rates an average, not bad but nothing to write home about.Now for the questions:Why do they call the toffee inside this treat a honeycomb? It looks nothing like a honeycomb and tastes nothing like honey.Why is it called 'Violet Crumble'? There is nothing remotely purple about it at all. In fact, its more like earthy browns and yellows. A decent bar wrapped in mystery, a great treat if you like to eat and think.
Well you came to the right place to have your questions answered Mister - thats all I can say.The honeycomb effect comes not only from the colour of the toffee, but through the act of sucking the toffee part of the chocolate bar - if thats how you choose to eat it. The toffee then dissolves leaving and tacky honey-like goop - disgusting really, but boy does it taste good. The crumble effect is obvious if you have ever bought one from any number of large supermarkets, and are unfortunate to have your violet crumble unknowingly packed along with the tins of dog food and baked beans. Although a fractured and sometimes sawdust like violet crumble can be a bit of a downer for some enthusiasts (read: Ashley), it is remarkably common. The clever people of the advertising world have turned this negative upside down however; after all "its the way it shatters that matters", isn't it?. As for the whole violet aspect... it refers to Violet's trade mark shiny purple wrapper, not the blooming chocolate bar itself - Geez.
So there you go, I guess some things are just too complex for some minds. I am glad I could offer my expertises in clearing up this very important and perplexing mystery.

1 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger strauss said...

Ashley said he feels like a violet crumble now. Oops! After Tim Tams the V.C is his next favourite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home