Tuesday, September 12, 2006

"Prayers from a Nonbeliever"

Dear God,
I am uncomfortable with what has been happeneing to me since I started writing to you. I would even blame you - if I believed in you. I seem to be looking at my life with different eyes - seeing where I have settled, where I have said, "This is probably as good as it gets, " even when that wasn't good enough. I see that I have not stepped up to the plate in a lot of areas. I have just said, "What's the use? It probably wouldn't work anyhow."
"It probably wouldn't work out" has dissuaded me from a lot of risks - risks that if I thought there were a you, I might have tried taking. I am beginning to get the uncomfortable feeling that my world is too small and that I can try, comfortably, to blame that on you - but I might be the real culprit.
I'd like a new place to live - something larger, brighter and still affordable. I have told myself I probably can't find it, so I am not even looking. That lets both me and you off the hook. Neither of us has to lift a finger to improve my life. The problem is, I am now wondering, If I lifted my finger, would you lift yours? Why do I think the answer is yes?

(Cameron J (2003) Prayers from a Nonbeliever: a story of faith, pg.15-16).

5 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger strauss said...

I read lots of different things. Half the time I wonder into a bookshop to see what book will step out to say "hello". This is one that recently did just that.It is thoughtful and funny. I hope you like this little passage.

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is interesting. I think I will look for the book. You bring an intriging dimention to my life. Thanks. Lauraine

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Thanks for the excerpt....I would like to read this also.
I agree with Laurie....these blogs are indeed bringing new thoughts and ideas to my life...and lots of fun and laughter too.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger strauss said...

Thanks lovely ladies. I am glad you liked it.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger strauss said...

Pull ya head in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home