Friday, November 03, 2006

rainy observations


Today it rained constantly and heavily.
The garden resembled a swampy marshland. Soon our crisp green world will dissolve into a dark brown soup. The gulls have already begun to congregate, boy they make a mess of the sports field next door; hundreds of them feeding on the doomed worms writhing in the soggy malleable earth.
There was so much water that a large pond had emerged, but interestingly only down our end of the car park. I noticed some silver coins gleaming through the water, unearthed by the downpour. It was as through God had been panning for treasures, and with some success, so it seemed.
I wonder about the value of lost coins buried in dry soils or at the bottom of the worlds oceans.There aways seems to be a coin somewhere: a penny here, 5 cents there, it all adds up.
I walked out in the rain tonight,with the sound of popping corn on my umbrella top. It annoyed me a bit. The sound became amplified by the bell of the umbrella, drowning out the expanded world's noises.
While shutting the park gate I fumbled and dropped the heavy chain and padlock into the pond that was God's panning instrument. My hand swirled in that cold brew of dirt and rotting leaves, to retrieve them. I swung the gate around to its closed position, disappointed that she wouldn't sing for me, as she does most nights with her hollow, soprano-like wail - too cold.
I don't have enough fingers to count the delights I saw and felt this day.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Well, it's Tuesday morning, and if you are like us, we have been inundated with rains and winds for about 5 days now. Flooding everywhere. Delightful? NOT!!!
;-)

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger strauss said...

yeah I hear you...three days of torrential downpouring. We are enjoying a break in the weather now, but the baseball field is under water and "god's panning instrument"...blocked drain! Ha Ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home