Thursday, October 26, 2006

warmth



So...I went to the paint shop yesterday and collected some likeable swatches to tape to the wall. You know the ones...they are about and inch square and are practically useless to people like me - I need the WHOLE story or I just don't get it ;)

Anyway - I didn't like any of those I have chosen - sounding familiar is it? So I asked for some advice. The woman "hmmmm'ed" at me a lot as she attempted to decipher something intelligent from the gluggy matter that were my wet cement-like ideas (and thats praising them up).

The woman considered my wants - "something that will either lighten or brighten the room". She asked about the other "pieces" in the room. "Pieces" in terms of furtiture, always reminds me of something fine...like "a piece of art" - there ain't no "pieces" in my house! But I told her what was in the room - brown stuff! She asked what other rooms were visible from the room I wished to paint - kitchen..yellow, white and black.

She recommended the same colour, only a shade lighter...GREEEEAAAT! I bought a sample pot, went home, and immediately slapped it on the wall. It looked as equally boring, if not, more boring than the original. So tonight, I scrounged around in the shed and found some leftover paint in the original colour. I have already repainted the wall and thought I may as well touch up the areas where chipped paint had appeared.

I have decided not to paint the walls. Like a crazed lunatic brandishing a gun, I practically had to wrenched the paint brush from my own hand and tell myself "its over...its gunna be ok...you don't have to renovate anymore".

It was a bit of a fantasy to think that I could get out of sprucing up the room for the meager cost of a tin of paint, but it was not to be. I will need to invest in some accessories, which will be fun, but most likely costly - well more costly than paint. I would buy some knick knack type things if I had places to put them; we don't have a lot of area for such things. I saw some interesting "pieces" today in a local store and I know Renovation Hardware has some great cushions and throws that would brighten up the brown lounge. It needs something... The picture I have hanging in the room is wrongly place, but I don't really have a right area for it, which is a shame, beacseu I like it.

I jguess I just want our place to feel like home, and for that to occur the place needs to reflect us- our interests and personalities. We have been so focused on the structural that the inner details and finer features have been neglected; and it is not like me to miss the finer details.

6 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Ah yes, it's all those little details that make a house a home. Decorating is NOT my forte'...I tend to do things rather haphazardly...buying what I like, and then it doesn't fit. Sigh...I don't suppose you get HGTV on the telly there? If so, Room by Room is really good on the details!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger strauss said...

I do have ideas. I know what things I like and the type of things I might like to put in the house to spruce it up - I just don't have the spare cash - that is the main obsticle - the dreaded dirty dollar.

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I better learn about this Heatherisation. ;)

For the room, you could always try some of those GE Reveal lightbulbs. Might be the cheapest way to brighten up the room.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger strauss said...

Yes, the "Heatherisation" thing was a little unnerving when I read it too ha ha ha ;)

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger strauss said...

I know about you and your meaningful clutter.
I don't have any clutter, that is what I am saying - only a spacious cavern of echoey nothingness. Hellooo... Ellooo... Llooo...Ooooo

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger strauss said...

ARRRRRGHHHH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home