Sunday, October 22, 2006

The insanity never ends



What is wrong with me??? I don't seem to be able to leave well enough alone.

We have done SO much renovating and we have done it quickly. I was speaking to two separate people last week, each were doing the renovation thing. They were saying that they had been renovating ever since they moved in - "So have we", I related, "how long have you been at it?"

"Six years."

WHAT!!! Six years. God help me.

We are 90% finished on all our renotations. It has taken us a year. I am looking at our place and am HATING the mass of one colour which is our interior walls - the colour WE picked out. Don't get me wrong. I still like the colour, just not everywhere. I would like to break it up somehow and perhaps paint the TV room a different colour.

Right now, the majority of the house is a colour called "Ripe Wheat". It is a golden yellow, which we picked to inspire warmth. But when I look at our place, it all looks a bit ....blah - too much yellow.

I am thinking a blue for the TV room - it will inspire the opposite effect to the yellow, but perhaps that is a good thing. The weird thing is that I have never liked the colour yellow. I am not sure why....too much of it in the school and sports uniforms perhaps - I always seemed to be in teams that were green and gold.

Anyway, the TV room doesn't have much light and the golden yellow with the brown leather lounge makes the room look so drab, boring and ho hum sigh. When I mentioned my feelings about it a month ago or so, Ashley responded with what can only be described as a silent disgust, at the thought of repainting - so I dropped it. But he is in Brazil this week (hee hee). I have been looking at colours and I think I might start accumulating the sample pots. I have a wall that is discrete enough to experiment with - you know... trying out some different hues and hide it behind the telly. If find one I like I may see if I can paint it myself. What do you think?

4 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger strauss said...

I know, I got both emails...but thanks for clearing that up ;)

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Definitely go for it!! Color is amazing, and you should experiment. I'll caution you on the blue tho....just because I have a house that is yellow, red, and beige (soon to be a deeper caramel to go with the carpet)...and a blue bathroom. The bathroom looks like it doesn't belong. It interrupts the "flow", if you will...Looks "cold" while the rest of the house is "warm." So I'd do the safe thing and go with something that will complement the yellow...orangey reds, all those shades of brown or caramel, even into the greens. But hey...YOU do what YOU like! And if you hate it....it's so easy to change! That's another thing I've learned, and it's helped me to be a bit bolder in my color choices (she says, typing from her office space that is painted a rich "Bee Balm Red"...love it!)

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger strauss said...

Thanks Kathleen. I will certainly take that on board. I need something that will either lighten or brighten. I think I will rethink the blue...Bee Balm Red hey, I am intriged - I will have to look it up.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Bee Balm Red is a Martha Stewart color....sold here at Sears. I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home