Tuesday, October 24, 2006

It just tastes better that way


As I have previously blogged - I like coffee, but Canadians LOVE coffee - it is almost like a security blanket for them, since they don't seem to be able to go out without their travel mug, nor does it seem possible for them to pass by a coffee house without going in and purchasing a cup of their favourite blend.
I have even seen them trance-like, drifting weightlessly past the ground coffee machine in the supermarket - nostrils flared and chest expanded to bursting point, as they draw in the rich aroma of those freshly grounded beans - and it is a great smell, is it not?
Well thank God for the Canadians and their coffee addiction, because after a full morning at the pumpkin patch, my friend asked if we would like to go for coffee.
Halleluija! Halleluija! (Harps...angels....choral singing...white doves...blue skies).
My coffee with a friend drought has at last been broken - YEEEEEAAA HAAAAaaaa!
We went to a small off the beaten track coffee house that I was unaware of. The kids ran amok, but weren't to bad considering their action packed morning. Adult conversation..... it was genuine therapy to my soul......
The guy behind the counter wanted to know what type of coffee I wanted. I did order a latte, but to be honest, I could not have cared less what was dished out. Because, in my opinion, the best coffee around is enjoyed in the company of someone else.

4 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Blogger Kathleen said...

And I thought all you guys drank was tea. You think Canadians are coffee-crazy, you should spend some time in Seattle...the new coffee capital of the world! Glad you had some adult time, too.

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may not be the coffee expert some people are, but I agree that freshly ground is the way to go. Not instant!

Of course, you hit the nail on the head. It's the company you share that makes the cup of coffee so much better.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger strauss said...

I am getting the "not instant" message LOUD and CLEAR. Boy, I really need to invest in a coffee machine (among other things...), because Canadians are so into their coffee I am too embarassed to ask anyone in for one.
Australian's are probably 50-50 tea V coffee. Unless you are a watcher of Home and Away (scummy Aussie soap with crap acting) you would think we only drank tea. There is a character called Irene...she was always "having a cuppa" offering someone "a cuppa" or about to "put the kettle on love". 'Onya Irene - "ya flaming galah" - as Alf Stewart would say...another stereotypical Australian character!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Laurie had me convinced that Aussies drink nothing but tea...coffee is frowned upon. I'm glad you like...but dear, you really DO need to buy a pot. Even a Mr. Coffee is better than instant!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home