Saturday, October 28, 2006

A merry old soul is she...

To demonstrate just how much of a grumpy old thing I am, I would like to share how unimpressed I am with fire works, fire crackers and basically anything that makes a big old loud bang - snap, crackle or pop - rice bubbles included.
In their defense, I have probably only seen lameo fireworks displays; you know the ones - an explosive ball of light once every ten minutes or so and after the first three "displays" you've had enough, yawn and start thinking about heading to the car....yeah. So forgive me if I am not paying homage to some unique and fantabulous phenomenon, it has not quite been my experience.
Anyway, my grievance about fireworks and fire crackers comes from the fact that my dog is extremely afraid of the snap, crackle and pop, and becomes overly stressed. We could probably tolerate it once a year, but for some reason, the kids around here have been letting off flares and fire crackers in the park constantly over the past two weeks.
And with Halloween only two and a bit nights away, the old crack and bang is being heard day and night, and from all directions, both near and far.
My dog is in state of nervous exasperation, and is barely eating. He is trembling for most of the day; cowers at the initial blast, and then attempts to seek out some place to hide, with wild bulging eyes filled with utter fear and distress. He is panting heavily and breathing rapidly, with his tongue fully extended and seems to go through a bowl of water every thirty minutes.
The noise is torture for dogs like him... and cruel because they don't understand where the sound is coming from or what it is.
I have tried to keep Cobie close; comfort him and reassure him, but the noise goes on and on and on. The perpetrators were still at it at 4 a.m this morning, and then it recommenced at around 11am - not much of a break.
I am worried about my dog not eating; he is vomiting everything up, when he does - mostly over our bed sheets....always a delightful surprise. So you could say, I am fed up with the fireworks and fire crackers around here, and hope they stop immediately after Halloween or I might be tempted to seek out those responsible and question them as to whether any might wish to have one stuffed up their jacksey.
At this time of the year fireworks are legal in our district, by the way, but one must wonder why. The guy around the corner confessed that one of his wayward rockets plunged into his neighbours truck, another blew the head off a skeleton he had displayed in the front yard and then he told us his another neighbour's fireworks caught a tree alight. They don't seem very appropriate in the hands of amateurs nor to be fired in populated areas, but to combine these too factors, well gee...the mind boggles and the head shakes.

1 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Oh, what a shame! Poor dog!!! Fortunately fireworks are not part of Halloween here....they are only sold at 4th of July, and are illegal any other time. I don't care for them either, and I hope your dog is better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home