Wednesday, November 22, 2006

an oldie but a goodie


I thought I would add a rare picture of me to mark the occasion, since the chances of seeing me dolled up are usually as likely as sighting a Dodo Bird....err... yes, this is me looking dolled up HA (oh dear).
My usual get-up involves a daggy pair of jeans paired with an over-stretched t-shirt and a rather raggedy looking navy blue polo fleece jacket with "Amsterdam" emblazoned on the front - a gift from Ashley after one of his trips away, you can see me in that jacket from mid-September until the end of May... assuming it makes it until next May.
So what inspired us to shake the moth balls off the Sunday best? Well, it was my birthday today, but Ashley took me out for a pre-birthday dinner on Saturday night- minus the kids.
The restaurant he took me to was recommended by Ashley's boss - Seasons Hill Top Bistro- which sits on the highest point in Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver. Ashley's boss recommended the restaurant as being middle of the road- mediocre, but assured Ashley that the food and the view made it well worth it. Well! We certainly got a taste of how the other 10% live.
The food was divine; the view overlooking the city of Vancouver and mountains was sensational, the service was impeccable. The decor; warm, tasteful and classic and the atmosphere was like adding the perfect frame around a great piece of art.
The prices were more upper than middle, from our limited experience, but well worth it for a special occasion...so, I would hate to unwittingly book myself into a place "the boss" considered swank. Anyway, it was a great evening, but it went far to quickly.
On Sunday I was treated again, and it STILL wasn't my real birthday yet.
I had dropped hints for a visit to a day spa - something any mother would likely appreciate. I hadn't been to one in years and Ashley isn't exactly known for taking hints (he hears them, he just chooses not to take them...and I am not very subtle!).
Well he did take the hint this time and I was taken, under a veil of secrecy to an undisclosed location for an unspecified reason. It was a day spa called Aquae Sulis - it was great, just the ticket in fact. The establishment even gave me a little rose hand cream as a birthday gift.
Tonight I was made to hide in the office to the tune of rustling and rummaging on the other side of the door. When I was finally allowed to re-enter there were balloons and party plates and snacks. They then went off to collect a special dinner from the Mexican restaurant in town, and they had even managed to sneak in a cake. It was all very lovely. The kids love birthdays, they love singing the song - very cute. I have been very spoilt - from everyone. I feel very blessed today. Thank you.
Alex's little friend Riley co-incidentally asked my how old I was today. When I told him it was my birthday, I don't think he believed me, but you should have seen his face when I told him I was 33...I may as well have said 133! Hilarious, he then proceeded to tell me that his Dad was fifty-thousand years old - I am sure he'd be wrapped to hear that.
I am excited about what this year will bring. Ashley and I often reflect and pinch ourselves with this question, "who would have thought 5 years ago/10 years ago/20 years ago, we would be sitting here doing this"? Well, certainly 5 years ago I would have thought you were nuts if you'd told me I would be a stay at home Mum living in Canada with my two kids". Huh?
Anything can happen - that is the joy of life. We really don't know what is around the corner, so we may as well just roll with it. Best wishes to you all. XXX

2 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Kathleen said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!! How nice that you were treated so special for a few days....lovely! Good photo, indeed...your haircut looks fine!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger strauss said...

Thank you! Yes the hair cut was much better this time. Different person AND establishment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home