Friday, March 24, 2006

Don't stare at me coz I'm different.

I took the kids to playgroup today and had a bit of an unfortunate moment.
I have only gone to this group in Ladner about 3 times and have barely spoken to a soul. In fact when ever I do start up a conversation with someone Alex attempts to drag me away and is quite rude.
At the end of the play period they threw on "circle time". Circle time basically involves getting in a circle to sing songs. The organisers were running a bit ahead of time, so they started a long winded round of Old McDonald's farm, giving each child had a chance to say an animal on Old McDonalds Farm to be included in the song (I am sure you can imagine).
Alex and I were second to last in the very large circle. By this time we have heard about 4 cows, 3 dogs, 2 cats and 5 pigs and quite frankly I was sick of it - SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
Well, it was our turn now and ...um.....have you ever had the experience of saying something and the whole room goes silent? Well we didn't want to interrupt the rythmn of the song, so at the appropriate time (and after prior consultation with Alex) I said, "....he had a MOUSE".
The room sat confused and silent for a moment, while a dose of panic started to seep into my veins ("you must be bloody joking", I thought). So I said it again only slightly aggitated, "mouse....", everyone looked at each other like I had spoken a foreign language, before hesitantly singing "he...um... had a.... moose(?), ....with a .....um....?".
"SQUEAK SQUEAK HERE AND A SQUEAK SQUEAK THERE!!!!!!!", I tried to encourage.
Oh, what's the use? I give up....

1 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your site very interesting and inspiring. Hope to do the same for our house demolition and rebuilding. Your friend Anissa's mother in law. Lynda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home