Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Cold enough for yer?

Well I was due to leave Australia at 6am Tuesay morning and was sweating that I might miss the connecting flight to Honoloulou. There were only 9o minutes between the flight landing in Sydney and the next flight leaving. Understandably I was a bit annoyed to see that the flight to Sydney was going to be delayed in its departure by 30 minutes, but I hoped I might still make it.
When the plane was then delayed an extra 15 minute due to air traffic around Sydney, I figured that I may as well kiss my connecting flight goodbye. But as luck would have it, my flight to the USA was also delayed 30 minutes- if I hurried I might still make it.
I ran to catch the bus to the international terminal and hurried all the way to the check out counter to get my boarding pass, only to find the longest of lines. And from the conversations being put about, the people I was in line with were checking in for the 1pm flight, and were concerned they might be bumped off it. WhenI mentioned that I was there for the 10am a lady encouraged me to jump the queue and state my needs, so I did.
I was informed that I was too late for the 10am flight and would have to take the 1pm. "Great, the long way home via San Fransisco", I thought, shuddering at the memory of that dreaded first trip with the kids, the baggage and the vomit. I went to the next counter to arrange the change when the Lord took pity on me, and a kind man behind the counter said that they had been wiating for one more passenger coming on the delayed flight from Adelaide. He handed me my boarding ticket , which I took in an unblinking shocked state. Had something actually gone my way for once? Then the man told the woman at the ticket counter that the flight was now closed. I had actaully made it. Phew!
As I settled into my seat on the plane, a woman about my age approached. Her name was Amy. She was from Brisbane and we were going to be seated next to each other the entire way to Vancouver.
During the course of the flight we chatted and I learnt much about her. She was heading to Calgary on a one year work visa. She didn't realy care what type of work she would end up with, she was just looking for a change after 10 years in the same job in the same place. She had nothing at all lined up; she was just gong to get a bus into town and check it out first. She only had one bag, so she thought she would be alright.
Just before the movie was due to commence the inflight news came on, along with the Canadian national weather report. Amy was dressed in a tank top and jeans, so I elbowed her to attention and laughed when the report showed Calgary to be having a high of -7 degrees. But she assured me that she did in fact have a very thick jacket in her carry on bag. "Oh good" I said, "you are going to need it".
Much later as we were preparing ourselves to descend in to Vancouver. Amy gets down her bag from the overhead compartment. We could see the seascape below, it looked cold and wet, and we weren't anywhere near Calgary, this was approaching British Columbia, the relative tropics of Canada! Anyway I didn't take much notice of what Amy was doing. I was getting my own self sorted. But once I had finished and had sat back to enjoy the final 20 minutes or so of the flight I noticed Amy putting on a DEMIN JACKET!!!!!!! Ok, it did have a flannel lining, but COME ON- MINUS 7 degrees. I said to her, "Oh, is this your jacket?" "Yep", she said, "If this doesn't keep me warm, nothing will", she assured me confidently. "Ya might be surprised", was my response!
I dare say an overcoat at the Calgary airport gift shop might have been her first purchase.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home