Monday, July 24, 2006

the site


We are FINALLY getting to that backyard. I apologise to all who want pictures of the newly painted house, but I am going to wait until the garden is finished to show the whole WHAMMO! effect.
I will say that we did refrain from repainting the house its original (and might I say, ugly) "over-laundered daggy Y-fronts grey/white" with the "duck poo" coloured trim and instead went for something ummmm....shall we say, fresher.
We think it looks pretty nice, and many people have asked us whether we had installed new windows, but they were simply repaired and painted - no need to be spending $10, 000 when a $50 can of paint and a $3.00 tube of sealant can do the trick (not that we had $10K to squander on such luxuries).
We still have a fair bit to go until we are finished, but we feel that the light is now at the end of the tunnel.
A large truck is coming tomorrow morning to dump the equivalant of 18.5 cubic yards of top soil, which we are spreading over the backyard and partly out the front. We are really excited that this area is now going to be worked on; everythig that has been done since spring has been leading to this point.
It was 37 degrees in Vancouver on Friday and 34 degree on Saturday, but we don't care...we want to get it done. And you know Aussies-we are as tough as old boot leather.
I know I am just leading you all on, teasing you without the ability to see the result, and I could be setting myself up for a vote of disapproval once it is all said, done and revealed. I guess all I can say is that we will have done it all ourselves, so don't expect some designer landscape job. Speaking of designs, we dont' have one yet...well sort of. Just another thing to work out. The whole choosing of Canadian plants is going to do my head in, so I will need some expert advice there, I think.
Anyway, as soon as possible, I promise to unveil the fruits of our labour.

1 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathy,
It is hard work getting things on a budget and still look good. I am sure that it will be amazing as you guys have always made your house look a million.

Nick.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home