Sunday, June 11, 2006

coffee addiction


If Australia be the beer toting capital of the world, surely Canada is the coffee lugging capital of the world. There are some SERIOUS coffee drinkers in this country. They go EVERYWHERE with their travel mugs. Golly, I see more people wandering around with coffee than teenagers on mobile phones. In my town alone, people walk their dogs with their travel mug; they wait outside the pre-school with their travel mugs; teachers rush into school with an arm load of papers clutched to their chests, a bag of some kind swinging off one arm and either a travel mug or Star Bucks Coffee take-out cup in their free hand. I even saw a woman driving around today with an ordinary kitchen cup - they are becoming so expert they no longer need the spillage prevention top!!!!
At restaurants coffee always appears to be a bottomless deal - one cup must never be enough.
In the homes you can forget your cheapskate Bushells or International Roast rubbish, it is a plunger coffee with some sophistocated ground variety to be sipped at in your own sweet time - INSTANT!!!!! Oh Please, we will not hear such vulgar language THANK YOU! At the poker game I attended last month, a player brought her own coffee from home; she would drink nothing else but her "Starbucks whatever". I thought that a little rude, but the others didn't bat an eye lid.
I haven't gotten with the whole coffee obsessing program. Yes yes I don't mind the occassional cup, but on the VERY odd occassion that I have had someone over, I have had to apologise for my less than exotic range of coffee. There is alot of pressure to supply and drink an acceptable style of the hot brew. To be perfectly honest, I can't be bothered buying all the paraphenalia; the plunger, the right type of coffee, worrying about whether it is stored correctly, fresh enough, grown organically etc etc etc. So excuse me please, it might not be the best tasting coffee around, in fact it might even be the worst tasting coffee around, but it is instant and I don't know any better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home