Tuesday, May 30, 2006

where do you live?


"That must be pretty unbearable", piped one of the mothers at Alex's pre-school. She was talking to me and motioning to the assortment of vehicles and heavy machinery making the determined racket on the tennis court across from the sports field.
"What are they doing? Is that clammer going on alongside you?, she pressed with a double question, in an obviouis attempt to establish exactly where I resided. They knew I was from over that way somewhere and within walking distance, since I drove only during heavy downpours.
"No, I live next to the parking lot", I said to put an end to the charaded interest in the goings on beyond the sports field. "They are just filling in the cracks on the tennis court", I relaid in an attempt to put the matter to rest.
"Literally.. next to the parking lot", another predictably asked. "Which side?"
Everyone wants to know where the familiar faces live. Knowing where one lives; the neighbourhood, the style of home - it all offers suggestions about the kind of person they are; especially when we tend to form vague impressions and imaginings about remote acquaintances. When we know where another lives, the information colours our earlier
illustrations; house or unit, shabby or well maintained, old or new, even the colour scheme and the garden; they all appear to say much about the person who lives there. Now whether our assumptions are correct are an entirely different matter.
And since I struggle to offer verbal gratifications that would actually allow others to get to know me, I guess knowing where I live can bury some of the intrigue for the minority who are genuinely curious.

3 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, If I had asked that it would be to hopefully open a door of getting to know you better. You live in the body you walk around in and only take shelter in the stick built one. You would immediately intrigue one to want to know you. Your eyes are special and being the window of your soul..........becon to others. Your accent would give mystery to you and your children definately obvious blessings.

I'd like to know you better and I am sure so would many others. Heather's mum.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger strauss said...

Heather, I never said I didn't know where they lived.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger strauss said...

My blog style is to make light and to pay out on myself, so please don't take the last line of the story too seriously. Although, if I may "open up a bit"... for me, every social experience is an excrutiating attempt to open the door that is myself - and I feel like I lost the key ages ago. To me my house is an extension of my body, since I am in it so much (read: hide), which is not saying a whole lot since the old house is a dodgely maintained pile of sticks with an apparent endless list of repairs, which hopefully will be complete at some stage in my lifetime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home