Sunday, May 07, 2006

You sound Aussie

As you may or may not know, we live right next to a baseball park. Right now we are right in the thick of baseball season and every night of the week and each weekend the street is packed with cars and supporters of the game. I must say, I haven't really taken a whole lot of interest in the game, but yesterday, for something to do, I walked over to a game with Olivia and we stood and watched for a while. I stood there explaining my observations to her like she cared, when a voice came from behind me "you sound like you're Aussies". Surprised, I turned to see this middle aged woman looking straight past me and talking to these two girls (huh?).
Then the woman gets up and walks straight past and over to the two girls telling them "you sounded Aussie then, they don't say 'Good Day', they say Gid-dee, yeah thats how an Aussie sounds". Then she walks past me laughing at herself. I just stood there with this stupid look on my face. I really wanted to say something clever, like "eh, ya want an authentic mate?" But no, thats not my style and the moment passed. A little later the same lady began smiling at Olivia and approached "would she like an onion ring", she asked thrusting a box of fried things under our noses. "Na thanks, she'll be right", I replied, quite without thinking. The woman then made a wide eyed and embarrassed looking retreat - whoops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home