Saturday, May 06, 2006

The card shark

On Friday night I was invited to an all women "beginners" poker game - "Yeah why not", I thought. It will be a good chance to meet people and I will have the chance to learn a new game.
The cost was $5 to play. We had a real poker table with chips and all, although the chips were points based rather than dollar valued. There were 9 players, all but two were actual beginners. The remaining 3 players in the game then split the $45 pot. Just for the record - "card shark" I am not!
I must say, I quite enjoyed learning how to play poker and even won a few hands, although I wasn't one of the three remaining players. I got to see inside this exceptional condo on Tsawwassen Beach, which even had a symphony of frogs playing in the pond below the third floor balcony. But you know, Poker is not a very social game. Most of teh time people are mulling silently over their cards and eyeing the facial expressionals of tehir opponents trying to suss out their hand. So I am not sure about poker. I think I would give it another go, if I am ever invited back, and maybe it will just take time to get to know everyone in that conversationally limited environment. Yep, I can see why blokes are attracted to it and why they prefer to have no women present at their sacred card nights. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home