Friday, April 21, 2006

The dilemma

Yesterday Alex had "Career Day" at this school which involved dressing up as the occupation you want to be when you grow up.
When we got notification about the upcoming event, I asked Alex what he would like to dress-up as. Immediately he said, "Fireman". My reply, "Oh, you would like to be a Fire Man when you grow up". Alex nodded then looked blankly somewhere into space and said he didn't want to be a fire man; then he said he didn't know what he wanted to be; then said he didn't want to participate at all, which later dissolved entirely into "I don't want to go to career day"!
At this stage the day was many weeks away, so I let it slide telling Alex he could have a bit of think about it.
Sunday night I thought I had better broach the subject again - this time asking him if he would like to get a fireman outfit for his pre-school thing. Well, he did. But he didn't want to wear it to career day- he still didn't want to go. I asked why he didn't want to go go Career Day. "I don't want to grow up", was the reply. Then it clicked.....
So I asked "do you not know what you want to be when you grow up?"
"No", he said.
"Do you not want to grow up because there are too many choices?"
(eyes to the ground, nods....)
So I explained that it took me a long, long time to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up, and that career day was just a bit of dress up fun and he didn't have to do the job he dresses up in, if he changes his mind later. Alex then condfidently stated that he really wanted to wear a fireman's uniform to pre-school, which he did.
Boy am I glad that Alex didn't ask me what I decided to be when I grew up, because that answer eludes me to this day!!!!! Who needs that kind of pressure at three years old, or thirty-three for that matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home