Saturday, February 17, 2007

An innocnt Eff Word

Olivia is nearly three. Her speech is coming along quite well, but today an utterance emerged from her sweet little cherry mouth; one I didn't expect to hear - The Eff-word.

"WHAT did you say!" I spluttered as we were driving along.

"*uck", she repeated, without flinching, she was looking out the car window.

I followed her gaze. OHHHHHH! "Truck!" sigh of relief, "yes, a truck. Can you say truck?"


"*uck".


"T-ruck"


"T-*uck"


"Listen to me, T-R-uck. Can you say that?"


"T-R-*uck", she giggled, repeating it continuously.


"We really need to work on that word, Olivia".


"Why?"


"Well, the way you say "truck" sounds like something else".


"What?"


"A bad word"


silence...


"*uck".


"Lets stop saying that now."


"Ok, Mummy".



Then today, we were in Dairy Queen....


"Look! *uck!", she yells out pointing to a truck outside.


A whiplash of head turn our way.


Where can I hide?


"Olivia, look at me", I whisper.


"Can you say T?"


"T"


"Good. Can you say R?"


"R"


Great. Can you say Uck?"


"Uck".


"Excellent. Now put 'em together. T-R- Uck"


"T-R-Uck"


"Now Truck"


"Truck"


"Yay"!

Thank God for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home