Tuesday, January 16, 2007

ballerina



Olivia started ballet classes yesterday - she is nearly 3.

I must admit, I was kind of living vicariously through her. I always wanted to do ballet as a little girl, but a certain person in my family reckoned ballet was "just for poofs"! I repeat that story often because NOW, I think it funny...comical rather.

But I truly, truly wanted to do ballet as a girl. That is quite a laughable thought if you know me, and can visualise me thumping around a dance floor without one ounce of grace in my step....please refrain from falling off your chairs.

Nevertheless, I enrolled Olivia in "Teeny Tiny Ballerinas". She went in shorts and t-shirt. Every other little girl in attendance arrived on location with the slippers, tights, leotard and fluttery tulle skirt "we simply MUST twirl now, mustn't we", I was told.

"I guess we must".

Olivia was quiet throughout the session, she didn't really participate. Only she and one other girl were new; all the other girls had started the term prior. It was very cute.

I was reassured that many of the flourishing girls were extremely shy at the start too, so I have hope for Olivia. She hasn't had much experience with group activities, so it should be good for her.

Another little girl, who will be in her pre-school class next year, was in the class. She was really good and full of seriousness and concentration when it was called for, and silliness when it was not.

The teacher was excellent. She was perfect for that age group, and made it fun for them.

I did ask Olivia if she liked ballet. She said no at first. When I asked her why, she indicated it was because she didn't look the part. So we went out looking an appropriately girlie outfit for her yesterday.

We got the slippers and tights, but haven't been able to find a small enough leotard. We will get one by next week though. I am just a bit restricted in my movement due to the snow.

The shoes were a big hit, she refused to take them off last night and they were the first things on, this morning.

I don't think the ballet is for "poofs". In fact I would like to experience a real ballet. The Royal Winnipeg Ballet in Manitoba is supposedly pretty good here in Canada. I am even thinking of going to see something when a production comes to Vancouver. The ballet is something I would truly like to experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home