Monday, July 02, 2007

ready...set...WALK

I did the HBC Run for Canada 3km Walk yesterday. I don't know, there is something about lining up to a start line, stomach filled with butterflies, excitement; anticipation building, readying oneself for the GO signal, only to set out for a.... walk. It seems almost as daft as competing in a staring contest or a thumb war - really. A walking race just doesn't seem serious enough.

I positioned myself at the front of the start line, and steamed away when given the go ahead. Soon I found myself way out in front, and I felt really self conscious - Is that not the most insane thing you have heard today?

I haven't ever been comfortable in the lime light or exposed in anyway, give me a dark corner to hide in any day. If I were to come back as an animal, I would probably end up being a chameleon - blending perfectly into the scenery.

By the way, I came third, don't know exactly how many people took part, but it was fun anyway. I finished in 24 minutes, which is slow, so I have something to aim for now. I am going to try for a 5km run next time, and leave the walk races until I am in Australia...unless there is another race walking to do before then.

Ashley and the kids enjoyed the 1km race, and they gave every participant a t-shirt and a finishers medal. There were free cupcakes, water and balloons for the kids, it was a great way to spend Canada Day, and raise money for Canadian Olympic Athletes too, which was the whole point of the run.
I hope you are all satisfied that I have put my ugly mug on here. Yesterday I received an email complaining about my absence ; I am not mentioning any names....

3 Comments:

At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good on you for the walking race and i reckon my picture would break a mirror before yours!!!!!

love a nameless cousin from broken hill

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Muse said...

Ugly... Hah! You look bloody fantastic.

Thanks for showing us the photos. What a great way for the family to spend the day, and you all look so cute in matching tshirts.

Well done, speedy!

:)

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Tracey said...

And I had the brainwave of checking out this blog so I could see photos of you all!! I agree, you all look fantastic!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home