Saturday, October 08, 2005

Autumn leaves begin to colour-up


Autumn has definately arrived, although this photo was taken on one of the last sunny days we had. This is a picture of a beautiful Elm tree, which is on Grove Ave, the next street over. I love walking down this street. There of two of these trees in a row, and they are spectacular. Unfortunately for the neighbour across the road, they drop a spectacular amount of leaves too. As I was walking past the other day, there was a gardner at the tree-owners house, ( apparently a very elderly lady) the gardener's truck was choccers with leaves, and there were still piles to scoop up.
I love the Canadian autumn, or "The Fall" as it is known over here. It is my favourite time of year (due to my eye problem I can actually see!!!). Everything looks so healthy and lush after the months of sunshine. The squirrels are hurrying around collecting all the acorns in anticipation for the winter months. The firey coloured leaves are bright against the grey skies. And you can spend a good chunk of time outside without worrying about hats, sunscreen or burning. In Australia I loved it just as much - autumn meant that things would once again began to turn green. I also never really enjoyed the heat, so the crisp air came, to me, as a welcomed relief. Ashley and I always loved to spend heaps of time in the Adelaide Hills in the Autumn, and winter for that matter. If you haven't tried it, I thoroughly recommend you take a drive through Algate, Stirling, Heathfield, Piccadily etc... stop in at the Uraidla Pub for a meal and/or drink in the restaurant for a break. Pick a day when it is any combination of cold, wet or foggy. They have an open fireplace and excellent food - very cosy. Ooh, and make sure you stop into the apple orchards in Summertown for fresh off the tree apples - just before Anzac Day is the best time to go. You can also pick your own at some orchards, which we did every year.
I digress- South Australians will now have to wait a good six months for this magical time, so this information is pretty useless. Anyway, most Australians are probably sick to death of the cold miserable weather by now, just as I am welcoming it in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home